Monday, June 4, 2007

morning commute

I've been commuting to work by bicycle since April and I've noticed that a big difference between commuting by train is that time is not as rigid. When you travel by train you have to board a specific train or you'll miss your connection and might end up late for work even if you only arrive there a minute late. Now when I travel by bike I use the other commuters I pass on my way to measure time...The children from my apartment building who leave at the blow of a whistle. The woman with the baseball cap pulled down low so you can't see her eyes, who's always talking on her cell phone. The guy with the dyed brown hair, light blue jump suit and cigarette dangling from his mouth who always seems to make me feel like everything is okay. The nondescript middle-aged woman I pass when I'm halfway there, my friend, Glenn who's always listening to obscure music on his huge headphones...It feels like a big community- like maybe we should have a party or something. And then there's the occassional exception- people that I'll only see once and never again. People whose destinies are not meant to be intertwined with mine.

2 comments:

Al Raks Noujoum said...

www.bsasnodescansa.blogspot.com

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

For me it's the woman walking the dog, the three school girls walking to another school and gossipping, the mothers returning from taking their kids to kindergarten and as I get closer to school, the two Ko2 students walking hand in hand.

Rolfe's Barber Shop