Monday, October 8, 2007

Falling Through the Cracks

Yesterday I performed a piece I just finished for solo guitar called "Falling Through the Cracks" at the Higashi Playhouse here in Nagoya. It was a lot of fun. It's the first time I've ever experimented with prepared guitar- I inserted a piece of plastic band between the strings near the bridge of the guitar so that it kind of sounds like a kalimba. The title was taken from a Suzanne Vega line that has haunted me for the longest time:

I've fallen through the cracks and there's no getting back
And I'll never trust whoever gets elected"


I've always been kind of attracted to the idea of falling through the cracks- it's so easy to do on so many different levels and sometimes it's actually a lot more fulfilling.

2 comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Would love to hear it! Any recordings yet?

Oh, and by the way, the latest is now... thinking of staying for one more year...

Jason R. Taylor said...

I'll probably make a recording sometime soon. I want to add some other movements first though. Glad to hear you'll be staying another year!

Rolfe's Barber Shop